This is the year that many of my friends and I turn thirty years old. I have no trepidations about it. I fully expect that I’ll be my hottest *cough* at age 35. 😀 I know that supposedly I will be anxious and worried about what this means for me as the day draws closer, but I don’t feel anything yet.
And yet, for some reason, I thought to myself that I have about a month to decide on something I’d like to do before I turn thirty (which would give me just under another month to actually do it). I started to google around for other people’s lists of things to do before turning 30, but you know what? I think I will write down a list of things that I’m proud that I’ve already done (most of them since turning 20).
Warning: Self-congratulatory pats coming up. 😀
- Put myself through school entirely on my own.
- Bought my mom that two-story house I told her I would when I was in the fourth grade.
- Wrote two [bad] novels.
- Fell in love with a great man and worked on making things work.
- Moved out to another coast on my own and overcame my biggest fear of making friends/interacting with strangers.
- Learned to really appreciate true friendship, the kind that lasts over distance and time, and even the fact that we’ve never met face-to-face.
- Learned that I don’t always have to be strong.
- Learned that I’m not always right and it’s ok.
- Lost weight gained from new job.
- Travelled (Canada :D, Vietnam, Korea, England, France).
- Joined a gym.
- Achieved financial stability and began savings & retirement plans.
- Became an aunt twice over.
- Held my little infant brother and tried to be a good [absentee] sister to him as he grew up.
- Learned to appreciate my older siblings.
- Learned to understand somewhat the depth of my mother’s unconditional love.
- Made a difference in my friends’ lives.
Of course there’s more. But it’s late. And these things? It’s not just a list. They really mean a lot to me. I never thought, when I was a kid, that I’d do these things. I remember being depressed and feeling like there wasn’t a lot I can hope to achieve, not knowing how to make things be different. But here I am. Things are different.
And I am happy.